Imagine if the Black Panthers had a free technology education program. Where self-determination, computer science, and radical political education combine to provide youth from marginalized communities access to the skills necessary for solving 21st century challenges. This is the type of technology education training we are creating.
/ LAUNCHING “HUTTON 2.0” PILOT PROGRAM
In June 2016, The Way Christian Center, the LIVE FREE Campaign and Command Space Collective will partner to launch “Hutton 2.0," a free 6-week intensive program named after the youngest member of the Black Panther Party, “Lil Bobby Hutton,” that will teach coding, digital storytelling and political education to youth in Oakland and Berkeley currently involved with or at-risk with the juvenile (in)justice system.
The goal of the pilot program is to:
• Provide youth with technical training in creative computing and problem-solving skills so they can see how technology can be used for social good
• Build a deep level of understanding about the politics of the technology industry and how it impacts poor communities and communities of color
• Graduate 10 participants from the pilot program
• Learn best practices that will form the foundation of future technical workshops
The pilot program's fundamental teaching methodology will be modeled after a similar course created in Ferguson, MO where youth activists were taught political education and technical training through a Freirean “Popular Education” approach.
/ IDEAL PARTICIPANT
• 16-24 year old Black, Brown and other youth from marginalized communities in Oakland and Berkeley who are at-risk or forced to engage with the juvenile (in)justice system.
/ WE NEED YOUR HELP
We are reaching out to individuals who share a passion in advocating for social justice, education and working with youth. We are in need of technical mentors to:
• Help teach the 6-8 week course curriculum
• Advise on programs and tools to use
• Mentor Participants
• Create / Edit Content
/ APPLY TO BE A TECHNICAL MENTOR OR NON-TECHNICAL VOLUNTEER
• Mentor Application: http://bit.ly/HuttonMentor
• Volunteer Application: http://bit.ly/HuttonVolunteer
• Idalín Bobé E: email@example.com P: (215)307-5107
• Chris Mueller E: firstname.lastname@example.org P: (510)207-6131
• Phil Johnson E: email@example.com P: (415)314-1748